May 3, 2014

Princess in the Forest


At seven, I had the rare opportunity to spend two weeks of the summer in the mountains near Flathead Lake, Montana, with my younger sister, Doris.   My older sister, Ruth, was married to a kind man named Chuck, who couldn’t have children.  When we arrived, he insisted on taking us right into town for new clothes.  If we just squeaked a hint of something we liked or wanted, it was provided abundantly.  We got excited about a pair of roller skates they bought for us.  When we brought them home to Ruth’s, there was no cement to skate on.  So right away Chuck arranged for a cement driveway to be poured so that we could skate.

We had the grandest time.  We felt like princesses with all the new clothes, toys and special treatment.  This was my first reference point to abundance and where I learned how abundance works.  I learned about generosity, how to receive, and knowing that whatever we desire is available to us.  I learned what it was like to be noticed and adored by the grown ups.  This would offset the balance of wealth and poverty for me.  I was happy in both worlds.

We loved playing in the forest behind the house.  I felt I was home in the forest...like I belonged there.  I had a daydream that I lived in such a forest among the wildlife.  I felt so happy and so loved.  I felt a deep, lasting connection with the Earth that never left.

Chuck couldn’t bear to have us leave when it was time to go home.  He came clear to Salt Lake with us to ask our parents if he could adopt us.  Ruth warned him that it wouldn’t work that way, but in his mind, the twelve children Mom and Dad had was too many to take care of with so little means.  Surely they wouldn’t mind giving up one or two of them, whom he could provide so well for.
  
2013
Later, at home, I would climb the aspen tree in the backyard and just sit in the tree whenever I wanted to feel close to God.  I've heard that many children, at age seven, have a deep sense within of what they were born to do or be.  I now live in the mountains among the wildlife in Park City.  The wild flowers, animals and trees are so dear to me.  I feel as though my daydream has come true and I am in heaven.


Following your desires will lead you to your purpose.

2 comments: